Following Sunday’s terrorist threat alert issued by the United States, several European countries said the threat remained high, while others have even increased the terror alert level. According to France Press news agency, the Italian and French authorities said on Monday that there was no indication of terrorist attacks on their territory, but that the threat remained high, following the alert issued by the United States for its citizens travelling to Europe.
Italy’s Interior Minister Roberto Maroni said on the TV channel Canale 5 that quote “the terror alert has never been underestimated. It remains high and Italian security services are keeping a close eye on the situation together with the secret services of the European countries and the United States.” Unquote.
He said there was no clear indication as to the precise targets, but the alert level remained high following the attack in Milan last October, when an explosive device targeted a carabinieri station but only caused minor damage. Sources with the French intelligence services have told France Press that the “threat level has been high since the beginning of September, but the services do not have fresh information since that date”.
France’s Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux said the French authorities were vigilant and took into account what Washington said. Quote: “We don’t want to worry our citizens. Suitable measures have been taken. However, at the same time we must not be in denial and must remain on the alert,” end of quote. As far as Romania is concerned, the Romanian Intelligence Service said the information available so far did not point to a direct terrorist threat, the alert level remaining “guarded”.
Following Sunday’s warning by the United States, Michele Cercone, the spokesman for EU home affairs commissioner Cecilia Malmstroem, said the European Commission was in contact with the American partners, monitoring the situation. Malmstroem even asked the American authorities to provide more details about the cause of the threat at the upcoming meeting of EU interior ministers due on Thursday in Luxembourg.
The warnings about possible terrorist attacks in Europe were issued after last week US soldiers had detained a man with German and Pakistani citizenship who revealed that Al Qaida militants were preparing a series of attacks on European soil. Western secret services say this intelligence confirms the existence of a terrorist training camp in Pakistan. A report by the American Institute for National Security estimates that some 100 Western citizens have decided to participate in the training of Islamist militants in the last year alone.