Romanian MP and businessman Gigi Becali on Monday was sentenced to three years in prison by the High Court of Cassation and Justice. Under the ruling Gigi Becali will also give up some of his rights for five years in a court case regarding a property transactions with the Ministry of Defense. Prosecutors speak of a prejudice standing at nearly 1 million dollars. In the same file, former Defense Minister Victor Babiuc and Former Chief of Staff Dumitru Cioflina also got two-year convictions. In another development, the High Court decided to refer the illegal transfer court case to the Court of Appeal. A final ruling was expected on Monday in this case that has been dragging on for four years. Prosecutors had previously called for harsh sentences for the eight football club financiers and player agents indicted under the case. The eight are accused for bringing a prejudice in the millions of dollars to the Romanian state, football clubs and the Romanian Football Federation. Some of the eight had originally received prison sentences.
Romania should be more than a mere spectator at the European Council meeting of Wednesday in Brussels, Prime Minister Victor Ponta has announced. Given the important agenda of the event, which includes, among others, the Nabucco project, diversifying energy resources and matters of European policy, Victor Ponta has agreed with president Traian Basescu that it should be the Prime Minister who should represent Romania at the meeting. Victor Ponta believes energy and fiscal policies, which rank high on Wednesday’s agenda, are the remit of the Government.
Apart from their startup bonus, stipulated in the Rural Development Program, young farmers may also benefit from an increase in direct payments in the first five years of their startup, when the financial pressure begins to pile up, EU Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development Romanian Dacian Ciolos said on Monday. Ciolos argues that an increase in direct payments would enable young farmers to access loans more easily. Commissioner Ciolos attended the seminar entitled “The Future of the Common Agricultural Policy: Opportunities and Priorities for Romania”, organized by the Romanian Agricultural Ministry on Monday.
The Romanian Football Federation on Monday has officially applied for hosting matches counting towards the 2020 European Championships, to be hosted jointly by 13 European countries. The official application sent to UEFA is targeting the basic package, namely matches counting towards the main group phase and the eighth finals, all of which would be hosted on National Arena Stadium in Bucharest. All European football federations must officially express their interest in hosting matches in the 2020 European Cup by September 12, lodging an application with one or two of their cities. The UEFA Board is due to announce all 13 countries in 2014.
Romanian filmmaker Cristian Mungiu on Monday was awarded the title of Officer of the Arts and Letters Order. Bestowing the disction was the French Minister of Culture Aurelie Filipetti. “His painfully realistic films outline the tragic nonsense of social and political facts, painted in biting irony”, the French official said, adding that “Cristian Mungiu is the leader of a new wave of Romanian and European filmmakers who are determined to change the outlook of cinematography in the Ceausescu era”. Mungiu, who in 2007 scooped the Palme D’Or prize for his “4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days”, has dedicated the award to all Romanian filmmakers, arguing that the only solution for Romania is to invest in education and culture. At this year’s edition of the Cannes Festival Cristian Mungiu was member of the jury led by Steven Spielberg.
|