RRI newsletter subcription
(e-mail address):
|
 |
Archives:
|
 |
TERROR AND MOURNING IN MOSCOW 30/03/2010 |
(2010-03-30) |
Last updated: 2010-03-31 13:06 EET |
Monday’s twin suicide bombing at the Moscow underground, has hit the headlines all over the world.
US president Barack Obama has firmly condemned the attacks, which he has deemed as 'atrocious’. "The EU stands besides Russia in the fight against violence and terrorism’’, Jose Manuel Barroso, president of the European Commission said, while the head of the European Legislative Jerzy Buzek, reiterated that quote "terrorism has never been justified’’. NATO secretary general Anders Fogh Rasmussen has voiced his consternation and has expressed condolences to Russian president Dmitri Medvedev. Mircea Geoana, president of the Romanian Senate said:
"We mourn the victims of these attacks. It is obvious that the Russian Federation and, generally, all states will face Islamist instability in the Caucasus and other small Transcaucasian republics.’’
Romanian Foreign Minister Teodor Baconsky shared this view:
"Once again, the global nature of terrorism is evident. All states are compelled to cooperate in fighting this phenomenon.’’
But the attacks were not necessarily a surprise. Last December, the Chechens announced they would set out to perpetrate "Jihad in Russia.’’ Monday’s victims add up to a long list of terror victims, part of a scheme that struck Russia at the turn of the century. One recalls the series of attacks that targeted the capital Moscow – about 300 people killed in blasts in fall 1999, 130 in a theatre under siege by a Chechen commando and stormed by elite Russian troops, in 2002 and another 41 people killed at the subway in February 2004, according to a scenario that is identical to Monday’s ploy. Chechen terrorism had seemed to turn into a vague memory, with tighter security in Moscow and the federal army’s offensive against Caucasus fighters.
But the Moscow media admits that this is bitterly wrong, and takes note of the end of illusions regarding the country’s security under the heavy-handed regime of former president and incumbent Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. In Bucharest, the daily paper Romania Libera headlines ‘’The Revenge of the Chechen’’, writing that responsibility for the bombings has already been claimed on a north-Caucasus Chechen website. The newspaper also highlights the symbolic meaning of the attacks: one of the blasts occurred meters from the former KBG headquarters. As far back as Stalin’s regime, the KGB had been involved in a fierce Kremlin-led anti-Chechen crackdown.
|
|
|
WMA |
|
64kbps : |
1
2
3
|
|
128kbps : |
1
2
3
|
|
MP3 |
|
64kbps : |
1
2
3
|
|
128kbps : |
1
2
3
|
|
AAC+ |
|
48kbps : |
1
2
3
|
|
64kbps : |
1
2
3
|
 Historical mascot of
RRI
|
|

© 1999 - 2011 Copyright Radio Romania International
|
|