2025-04-03




















Archives:
Investigations After the Referendum
(2012-09-10)
Last updated: 2012-09-10 14:24 EET
Liviu Dragnea, PSD Political turmoil in Romania is far from over, some two months since the referendum to impeach president Traian Basescu was held. Both “sides” continue to make allegations while authorities have started several investigations. According to National Anti-Corruption Directorate Prosecutor General Daniel Morar, no evidence has been found so far during searches carried out in polling stations that may confirm a fraud rate of 5, 10 or 15% in the referendum.




Morar said that, based on complaints filed so far, prosecutors found that certain Romanian soldiers currently deployed in Afghanistan, as well as people who are currently serving their prison sentences or who are deceased appear on voting lists. In an interview to a private television station, Daniel Morar also said that criminal proceedings have been launched against Social Liberal Union Secretary General Liviu Dragnea, after conclusive evidence was revealed, showing that Dragnea used his influence and the authority of his office with a view to securing a minimum 60% voter turnout in the July 29 referendum, which would have ensured its validation.


Liviu Dragnea was quick to respond to allegations, arguing they were 100% political, adding that neither him, nor his colleagues have done anything illegal in the referendum campaign. The criminal case filed against Dragnea has several purposes, the Social-Liberal official went on to say, among which an attempt to intimidate the union’s campaign teams ahead of the legislative elections of December. Another objective, Dragnea argues, is to show that Traian Basescu’s popularity rates are not so low, as reflected by the 7.4 million votes cast in favour of his impeachment.


On the other hand, Liviu Dragnea said the Liberal-Democratic Party in the opposition boycotted the referendum and threatened Romanian citizens not to turn up at the referendum. In turn, Social-Democrat leader Victor Ponta said the recent allegations filed against Dragnea did not hurt the Social Liberal Union’s chances in the run-up to the legislative lections, adding that Liviu Dragnea would continue to oversee the Union’s electoral campaign for the December 9 elections.


In another move, a delegation of the Venice Commission, the Council of Europe’s advisory body on constitutional issues, is currently in Bucharest to analyze the constitutionality of the Romanian Government’s emergency ordinances with respect to the amendments brought to the Constitutional Court law and the referendum law, as well as the political context in Romania. The Venice Commission criticized what it has called “the government’s attempts to put pressure on the Constitutional Court and to prejudice the independence of this institution during this summer’s political crisis.
 
Bookmark and Share
WMA
64kbps : 1 2 3
128kbps : 1 2 3
MP3
64kbps : 1 2 3
128kbps : 1 2 3
AAC+
48kbps : 1 2 3
64kbps : 1 2 3
Listen Here
These are the hours when you can listen to the programmes broadcast by the English Service of RRI.
Time (UTC) 12.00 - 13.00
01.00 - 02.00 18.00 - 19.00
04.00 - 05.00 21.30 - 22.00
06.30 - 07.00 23.00 - 24.00


Historical mascot of RRI