2025-04-03




















Archives:
Divergence Over Electoral Lists
(2012-08-06)
Last updated: 2012-08-07 11:49 EET
Ioan Rus The Romanian Interior Minister, Ioan Rus, who has been at the center of the polemics over the organization of the referendum on the impeachment of Romania’s President, Traian Basescu, on Monday tendered his resignation, denouncing unacceptable political pressure. Rus, a member of the ruling Social Liberal Union has said that Romanian politicians, starting with suspended president Traian Basescu, and ending with interim president, Crin Antonescu, have put a lot of pressure on him.



The minister has stated he can’t accept that the Interior Ministry be involved in anything that is not in the letter and spirit of the law. In turn, the minister delegate for the administration, Victor Paul Dobre, one of those officials responsible for the organization of the July 29th referendum, has stepped down, invoking personal reasons.


The decisions made by the two officials come against the backdrop of divergence over the electoral lists, based on which the referendum was held. The Constitutional Court has postponed until August the 31st a decision on the validity of the referendum, saying the data it has received regarding the number of eligible Romanian voters are contradictory.


Romania’s Constitutional Court has called on the government to provide, by the end of the month, the updated permanent electoral lists used at the referendum. The Court’s request has stirred more controversy, as each of the two opposite sides has its own interpretation of the request. Prime Minister Victor Ponta has called on the local authorities to update electoral lists, saying they include many inadvertencies. They refer to the Romanians domiciled abroad, the deceased who haven’t been removed from the lists yet, the persons who no longer have the right to vote following a criminal sentence or those who suffer from ailments that prevent them from using the right to vote, or those who have relinquished Romanian citizenship.


On the other hand, suspended president Traian Basescu, supported by the opposition Liberal Democratic Party believes that the Social Liberal Union is intentionally making the same mistake in interpreting the “electoral list” term, to validate its political actions until the Constitutional Court rules. He says the number of citizens with the right to vote in a referendum is always higher than the number of those who vote in the local elections.


According to Basescu, “when it comes to the election or impeachment of the president, the quorum is made up of all Romanian citizens with the right to vote, irrespective of the place where they live.” To put an end to any kind of interpretation, the Constitutional Court on Monday issued a communiqué, saying it called on the government to provide the Court with the permanent electoral lists which had been updated 5 days before July the 29th, the day when the referendum was held, and not a fresh update of the list.


The number of voters is very important, because if the current figures are maintained, they account for 46.24% of the total number of people on the electoral lists and consequently the referendum will not be validated, because of a lack of quorum.
 
Bookmark and Share
WMA
64kbps : 1 2 3
128kbps : 1 2 3
MP3
64kbps : 1 2 3
128kbps : 1 2 3
AAC+
48kbps : 1 2 3
64kbps : 1 2 3
Listen Here
These are the hours when you can listen to the programmes broadcast by the English Service of RRI.
Time (UTC) 12.00 - 13.00
01.00 - 02.00 18.00 - 19.00
04.00 - 05.00 21.30 - 22.00
06.30 - 07.00 23.00 - 24.00


Historical mascot of RRI