2025-04-03




















Archives:
The Week in Review 20-26/03/2011
(2011-03-25)
Last updated: 2011-03-28 16:14 EET
Romania stands by the decision of NATO’s and the UN Security Council with regard to Libya. President Traian Basescu made this statement, adding that the frigate Regele Ferdinand, commissioned by Bucharest to assist Allied forces, would not fire on Libyan territory. Its purpose is to thwart weapons smuggling into Libya. Talking about the military intervention, Traian Basescu said this:


“We don’t believe this is the best solution, given the development so far, but we do stand by the decisions made by NATO and the Security Council. Our frigate isn’t going to fight in a war. Its mission takes place far off the Libyan coast. The ship is allowed to stop any suspicious vessel heading for Libya that might have weapons onboard.”


Romania has approved the allocation of 4.5 million euros to equip the vessel for combat, a process that can take up to a month.


The situation in Japan, a country which was severely affected by the March 11th earthquake and tsunami, has been this week in the focus of attention of the Romanian Government. The Government convened in a special meeting, and decided to set up a quick reaction task force with the National Commission for Nuclear Control, to provide information on the situation at the Fukushima nuclear power plant.


Meanwhile, the Romanian branch of the Red Cross international aid organisation launched the fundraising campaign “Aid for Japan”. The money is intended to fund the building of temporary shelters, the reconstruction of water supply and sewerage networks, as well as healthcare assistance and psychological support for the population. Also this week, Bucharest has repatriated part of the Romanian nationals living in Japan, with the costs shared between the Romanian government and the passengers. The latter traveled on board a Tarom Romanian Airlines aircraft sent to Japan.


On Thursday and Friday, President Traian Băsescu attended the spring meeting of the European Council, in Brussels, devoted to reforms required for economic recovery, but which also tackled the most sensitive international developments - Libya and Japan. EU leaders reached a consensus on a strategy to help the Eurozone and the EU as a whole emerge from the crisis.


Measures have been approved, in order to improve economic governance and bank evaluation tests, and a final decision has been made regarding the establishment of the EU Stability Mechanism, which will be able to lend money to countries with large debts starting in 2013. As regards the strengthening of the Eurozone, the president of the European Union, Herman Van Rompuy, mentioned the endorsement of the Euro Plus Pact, which will provide a new quality of economic coordination.


The EU official added that the agreement was named Euro Plus Pact for two reasons: because it details what the Euro member states plan to do in addition to what they are doing at present, and secondly, because it is open for any country to join. Six non-euro countries have already decided to join it, namely Denmark, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, Lithuania, and Latvia.


The Constitutional Court endorsed the new Labor Code, contested by trade unions and employers’ associations. The panel rejected the opposition’s complaint on the way the law was passed, by taking responsibility in parliament. Trade unions threaten to swamp the law in local and European Union courts. Prime Minister Emil Boc, however, said that the new Labor Code will help the country recover economically, creating jobs at the same time:


“The Labor Code will definitely contribute to Romania’s economic recovery and create jobs for Romanian citizens, while making it easier for employers to hire. I would say that this labor code is a reform on a par with the single tax rate in terms of the impact on Romania’s development and employment”.



Euro MP Adrian Severin was eliminated from the European Socialist group, and was accused of accepting a bribe from a fake lobby group in order to push through legislation, alongside two other European Members of Parliament, an Austrian and a Slovenian. Severin said that the allegations were false, and said that the money he took was payment for consultancy services. The European Parliament and the Anti-Fraud Office are investigating the case. In Bucharest, Victor Ponta, the president of the Social Democratic Party, the leading opposition party, called on Severin to retire from the party.
 
Bookmark and Share
WMA
64kbps : 1 2 3
128kbps : 1 2 3
MP3
64kbps : 1 2 3
128kbps : 1 2 3
AAC+
48kbps : 1 2 3
64kbps : 1 2 3
Listen Here
These are the hours when you can listen to the programmes broadcast by the English Service of RRI.
Time (UTC) 12.00 - 13.00
01.00 - 02.00 18.00 - 19.00
04.00 - 05.00 21.30 - 22.00
06.30 - 07.00 23.00 - 24.00


Historical mascot of RRI